For years, mental and physical health were treated like two completely separate entities. Thankfully, we now know that your mental health has a significant effect on your physical health and vice-versa. In fact, it was the World Health Organization that helped change the world's views on mental health by stating, “there is no health without mental health.”
The Connection Between Mental and Physical Health
Before someone can improve their overall health, they have to understand how it functions.
- Poor mental health is a risk factor for chronic physical conditions, as well as sudden ailments like a heart attack or stroke.
- People with serious mental health problems have a higher risk of experiencing chronic physical pain and chronic physical conditions.
- Those with a chronic physical injury or condition are more likely to experience depression and anxiety.
It’s important to remember that the relationship between physical pain and poor mental health is correlational, not causational. Simply put, this does not mean that a physical condition always causes a person to have poor mental health. Rather, it’s important to look at how a person’s life changes after an illness or accident. People with a chronic illness or injury are more likely to:
- Have difficulty doing things for themselves (grooming, eating, exercising).
- Have less access to nutritious food.
- Be socially isolated.
- Experience pain or discomfort on a daily basis.
Integrated Genetic Solutions and Your Mental Health
Poor physical health isn’t always as obvious as a broken bone or an infection. Many people go through life feeling tired and weak, despite being “perfectly healthy.” The reality is, most people’s health could be much better, they just don’t know it.
After a laboratory-certified DNA and blood test, Integrated Genetic Solutions can understand exactly which hormones, vitamins, and minerals your body is lacking. From there, we can create a custom health plan that’s 100% tailored to your needs. In addition to better physical health — better sleep and more energy — many patients have also noticed mental benefits, like a better memory, fewer mood swings, and increased happiness after working with IGS.
We’re so proud to now offer Integrated Genetic Solutions testing at Unruh Spine Center for all existing and new patients. Want to learn more about how we can get you feeling your best? Give us a call at 661.338.5073 today!