Also known as Onchomycosis, toenail fungus is an infection of the toenail plate, nail bed and nail root. Not only does the infection change the appearance of the nail, it can also be embarrassing and even painful. If this sounds familiar, good news: You don’t have to hide your toenails any longer! There are treatments at Unruh Spine Center for toenail fungus that will have your toes looking and feeling great again.
Signs of Toenail Fungus
If you think you might be suffering from toenail fungus, you can perform a self-evaluation to look for the following common symptoms:
- Discoloration of the nail, i.e. yellow, green, black or white
- Distorted toenail
- Foul odor
- Crumbling under or at the tip of the nail
- Lifting of the nail plate from the nail bed
Because there are different types of toenail fungus, and all of these vary in severity, it’s important to have your condition diagnosed by a podiatric physician.
How Common Is Toenail Fungus?
Fungus causes about half of all toenail abnormalities. Toenail fungus occurs in approximately 10% of the adult population in America, and, if left untreated, the infection will progress.
Currently, the most common treatments for toenail fungus include:
- Oral medication, i.e. Lamisil or Sporonox
- Topical treatments, i.e. soaking your feet in alcohol/bleach/Listerine, applying VIC’s vapo rub, OTC and RX antifungal creams